Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cook up & eat up!

Hi! I wanted to share some new recipes I tried with you. So, cook up, and eat up! Enjoy!



Hummus Guacamole Dip


(and yes, that's my car in the background)

This recipe was pretty darn good--pair it with tortillas, pita bread, or whatever floats your boat.

3 avocados-mashed up
8 ounces of your favorite hummus (or homemade-I used roasted garlic)
1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 1/2 cups fresh salsa (I make my own, a pico de gallo, without the spice)
salt & pepper, to taste. Mix all the ingredients to desired consistency and refrigerate. Easy as 3.14.



Grilled Steak with Balsamic Teriyaki & Sesame Noodles

I got the steak recipe from Framed Cooks, a new blog I found, and really like!






These sesame noodles are from The Pioneer Woman


Steak:
1 lb skirt steak, or other (I used flank)
2 T cooking oil
1 1/2 T unsalted butter
1 minced shallot
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 C balsamic vinegar
2 t sugar
1/2 C beef, chicken, or veggie stock (I used chicken)
2 T soy sauce
1 T sweet rice wine (mirin)

Melt butter & oil in saucepan. Add shallots & garlic. Cook 3 minutes or until soft. Pour in balsamic vinegar & bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium-low & simmer for 15 minutes (should be thick and glossy like above picture). Add sugar, stock, soy sauce and rice wine. Stir well. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to low & simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool. Reserve 1/2 C sauce for marinating and 1/4 C for serving.

Place steak and 1/2 C sauce in a ziplock bag. Marinate for 2 hours or overnight.

30 minutes before grilling, remove steak from fridge & let sit at room temp. Discard the marinade & pat dry with a paper towel.

Grill steak for 3-5 min. on each side for medium rare. Rest for 5 minutes when done for it to cook through. Serve with extra marinade.

Sesame noodles:
12 oz. linguine, cooked & drained
1/4 C soy sauce
2 T sugar
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 T rice vinegar
2-3 t sesame oil
1/2 t hot Chile oil (I didn't have it on hand, so I didn't use)
4-5 T canola oil
2 T hot water
3-4 green onions, sliced thin

Whisk all ingredients (except noodles & onions) together in a bowl. Pour sauce over warm noodles & toss to coat. Sprinkle with green onions.


No comments:

Post a Comment