Thursday, July 19, 2012

Lasagna!!!

I don't make lasagna often because it is definitely a winter meal. It is also a little time consuming because I like to make the sauce a day in advance. However, it is SO worth it!!!! Thought I would share my recipe that I've conjured up over the past couple of years. Below is the only picture I have of it and I don't think it does justice for the taste! I will update the picture when I make it again !


First, I use my mother-in-law's sauce recipe which can be found here. Scroll down to the middle of the page and you will find it. 

For the lasagna, this is what I use:

2 T olive oil
1  medium onion, diced
1 lb ground beef
1 large egg
1 32 oz. container ricotta cheese
2 T chopped parsley
1 1/2 t dried oregano
1 C freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese
1-16 oz block of mozzarella cheese, sliced into thin rectangles (you may not use all cheese)
2 C shredded mozzarella cheese
No boil lasagna noodles

1. Prepare the sauce one day in advance.
2. Heat 2 T olive oil in a large skillet. Saute the onion until soft. Brown the ground beef and drain grease.
3. Mix the egg, ricotta, parsley, oregano, 1/2 C Parmesan, and 1 C of the shredded mozzarella in a mixing bowl.
4. Spread 2 Cups sauce in bottom of a large baking pan. Add some of the ground beef. Place lasagna noodles over sauce, overlapping if necessary. Spread ricotta mixture over the noodles, place sliced mozzarella cheese on top by spacing it out, and top with sauce, then ground beef. Repeat layers 2-3 layers depending on your pan size. Sprinkle 1 C shredded mozzarella cheese on top and 1/2 C Parmesan. Cover and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Uncover and bake 15-30 minutes longer, until hot and bubbly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment