I don't think I will ever try another sugar cookie recipe again. This recipe is perfect for the holidays or any baking occasion!
For the cookies:
2 C (4 sticks) unsalted butter (cold is fine)
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
4 t vanilla extract
1 t almond extract4 C all purpose flour
2 t baking powder
For the icing:
2 C powdered sugar
1 T + 1 t milk + more to adjust consistency
1 T + 1 t corn syrup + more to adjust consistency
1/2 t almond extract or vanilla
Gel food coloring (or I have kept it white...or added regular food coloring)
1. To make the cookies, cream the butter and powdered sugar together on medium-high for 3-4 minutes until fluffy (2-3 minutes if butter is softened).
2. Reduce speed to low and add vanilla and almond extract.
3. Add flour and baking powder, and mix on medium just until the dry ingredients are completely incorporated.
4. Turn dough out on plastic wrap, shake into a disc, wrap tightly, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. (I make 2 discs.)
5. Lightly flour your work surface and roll out your dough and divide discs into a couple portions. Roll to about 1/3'' thickness.
6. Cut shapes with a floured cookie cutter, reflouring each cookie.
7. Lightly knead the scraps and reroll until you run out of dough or get the number of cookies you need. Leftover dough can be refrigerated for a week or frozen for several months.
8. Transfer cookies to a parchment lined baking sheet and place in the freezer while the oven is preheating to 350 degrees.
9. Bake 10-12 minutes, until the cookies just begin to brown around the edges.
10. Let cool completely before icing.
11. For the icing--In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, corn syrup, and extract until uniform.
12. Keep adding equal parts milk and corn syrup until you reach your desired consistency.
13. Divide between bowls and color frosting.
14. Put into a pipe bag or smear onto cookie!