Oh. My. Gosh. This ham and cheese puff pastry pie is true enjoyment. We had this for dinner and it was really good and we had some leftover for breakfast and it was really really good. Make it with fried eggs and it tastes perfect dipped in. Splurge some on your puff pastry and it will make a huge difference--I got Dufour's from Whole Foods and frankly, it will be hard to ever go back to anything else. It was a bit pricey (around $12 for each sheet), but it will surely be a party in your mouth!
Shout out to Ina Garten and Joy the Baker for this recipe.
2 sheets all-butter puff pastry dough,, defrosted and chilled
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 C whole grain mustard
1/2-3/4 lb black forest ham, sliced thin
1/4-1/2 lb gruyere cheese, sliced
1. Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheeting or pizza pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Unroll or unfold puff pastry and place on a lightly floured surface. Gently roll with a rolling pin and roll until each side is about 1/2'' thick. This is just a very light rolling. Place pastry on the prepared baking sheet.
3. Brush entire pastry with egg wash. Spread mustard leaving 1/2'' on all sides for the crust. Layer with ham slices and top with sliced cheese.
4. Gently roll out the second sheet of puff pastry. Place on top of the ham and cheese. Press edges together with your fingers and fold about 1/2'' over to create a thick crust. Press edges with the tines of a fork and dip fork in flour if it is sticky.
5. Brush top with egg wash and slit 3 large venting holes on the top of the pastry with a knife.
6. Bake 20-30 minutes and let cool 10 minutes before serving.