1 1/2 lbs ground beef
2 C Basmati rice
3 C low sodium chicken broth
2 cans diced tomatoes, or fresh
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t chili powder
1/4 t paprika
1/4 t cumin
1/2 can black beans, rinsed & drained
salsa verde (optional--I use it sometimes other times not!)
Mexican cheese blend
1 can corn, drained
sour cream, to taste
cilantro, to taste
1. Prepare rice in chicken broth (20 minutes).
2. In skillet, saute onion & garlic until translucent. Add tomatoes, chili powder, paprika, & cumin. Mix. Add beans, and then the finished rice. Set aside.
3. Brown the ground beef, drain.
4. Start layering in a large casserole dish. Begin with salsa verde (if using) on bottom. (If not, I spray nonstick spray and start layering with tortillas), flour tortillas (you may have to rip them to fit as a layer in the corners), 1/2 of the rice mixture & 1 C cheese.
5. Add another tortilla layer. Pour enchilada sauce evenly on top. Add ground beef, corn & rice mix. Sprinkle 1-1 1/2 C cheese on top.
6. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.
7. Use sour cream & cilantro for serving if desired.