Sunday, October 27, 2013
Whole wheat pizza with broccoli and turkey sausage
Olive oil, 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons
Cornmeal, for dusting
Whole wheat pizza dough, 1 pound
Garlic, 1 clove, pressed or minced
Red pepper flakes, 1/4 tsp
Broccoli or broccoli rate, 1 bunch trimmed and coarsely chopped
Sea salt, 1/8 tsp
Part-skim mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup shredded
Garlic pizza sauce (optional)
1. Please a rack in lowest position in oven and preheat to 400°. Grease a baking sheet or 12 inch pizza pan with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and dust with cornmeal.
2. On a lightly floured work service, Pat and stretch dough into a 12 inch round. Transfer to a prepared baking sheet and set aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a Frying-pan over medium heat. Turn sausage out of its casing into pan and cook, stirring constantly and using spoon to break up meat, until lightly browned on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and scrape out any brown bits from pan.
4. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan. Add garlic and red paper pepper flakes and cook until just fragrant, about one minute. Add broccoli and sprinkle with salt. Cook, stirring often, until bright green and evenly coated with oil about two minutes. Add 2 tablespoons water to pan and steam until tender about Five minutes longer. Sprinkle up to 2 tablespoons more water if needed.
5. Scatter cheese, broccoli, and sausage evenly on top of dough. Bake until crust is golden brown on edges and cheese is bubbling, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool slightly, then cut into squares or wedges and serve right away.