Sunday, January 11, 2015
Braised Short Ribs
I got this wonderful recipe from My Baking Addiction. This is a perfect throw together, pop in the oven Sunday meal. You will look extra fancy if you serve this! Good news is that short ribs are fairly cheap so you won't be breaking bank trying to make this.
8 whole beef short ribs
kosher salt and pepper, to taste
6 pieces of bacon, diced
2 T olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 shallots, peels and finely diced
2 C red wine
2 C beef broth
2 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs rosemary
1, Salt and pepper ribs. Set aside.
2. In a large dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until completely crispy and all fat is rendered. Remove bacon and set aside. Do not discard grease.
3. Add olive oil to the pan and raise heat to high. Brown ribs on all sides, about 45 seconds per side. Remove ribs and set aside. Turn heat to medium.
4. Add onions, carrots, and shallots to pan and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in wine and scrape bottom of pan. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes.
5. Add broth, 1 t kosher salt, and plenty of black pepper. Add ribs to the liquid; they should be almost completely submerged. Add thyme and rosemary sprigs (whole) to the liquid.
6. Put on the lid and place into the oven at 350 for 2 hours, then reduce heat to 325 and cook for 30-45 minutes longer. Remove pan from the oven and allow to sit for 20 minutes. Ribs should be fork tender. Skim fat off the top or refrigerate and remove solid fat from the top the next day.
I also just noticed that this was a recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman and this is excellent news to me considering how much I love her!