Put on those fancy pants because tonight you are getting fancy! It will be a breeze too! Get the best quality linguine noodles you can find--I prefer Cipriani Tagliarelle (pictured below)-- and you've got yourself a prime dinner.
|I've bought this at Harris Teeters and The Fresh Market|
2 pounds mussels or clams, or 1 pound each (I like clams better)
1 pound linguine
1 tsp salt
1 C white wine
1/2 C purified water
3 cloves garlic, sliced
3 shallots, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped (about 2 C)
2 T chopped fresh basil
1/4 t salt
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
2 T olive oil
juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 C)
1/8 tsp chili flakes (optional)
garnish: 2 T chopped fresh parsley
1. Soak the clams or mussels in a pan full of cold water for 5 minutes.
2. Scrub the shells to remove any seaweed or mud using a veggie scrubber or abrasive side of a clean sponge.
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop the linguine into it, add the salt, and cook until al dente (the special linguine takes ~3 minutes)
4. Meanwhile, put the clams or mussels in a large, lidded pot with enough water to hold them without them being cramped.
5. Add the white wine, garlic, and shallots. Cover and cook over high heat, shaking the pot occasionally, until the shellfish open, about 10 minutes.
6. Drain the pasta, then toss with shellfish. Add the tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper, and olive oil and toss aggin. Add 1/8 tsp chili flakes if you wish. Squeeze the lemon over everything and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.